November 5, 2012 by Alice in Readerland
I love animals (I live with 2 cats, a dog, and a parakeet), so when this week’s Top Ten Tuesday was a Top Ten Tuesday Freebie where I could make up whatever topic I wanted, I knew I had to make a list of my top ten choices of characters (and literary figures) that I’d name my pets after.
- Sherlock (From Sherlock Holmes): I came thiiiis close to naming my cat Sherlock.
- Frost (After poet Robert Frost): Frost is such a cute name!
- Polka Dot (From the Ruby Oliver series): I love Ruby Oliver’s Great Dane and Polka Dot’s an adorable name!
- Harper (After author Harper Lee) Because To Kill a Mockingbird was an amazing book.
- Cheshire (From Alice in Wonderland): Oh, yes. One day I will have a cat and it will be named Cheshire. Yes.
- Shakespeare (After playwright William Shakespeare): Of course Shakespeare had to appear on this list.
- Onyx (From The Gallagher Girls series): Onyx is such a beautiful name. For you GG series fans out there, yes, I do prefer Onyx over Suzie as a cat name. ;)
- Koko (After The Cat Who series): Koko’s a cute name and I love “the cat with the 60 whiskers.”
- Blackberry (From Watership Down): Watership Down is my favorite fiction book and Blackberry is my favorite rabbit from the story.
- Hobbes (From Calvin and Hobbes): Okay, okay, so Calvin and Hobbes is a comic strip but I adore Hobbes and came very close to naming my cat Hobbes.
For those of you who also love animals, everyday you can answer trivia questions on Free Kibble to help feed shelter dogs and on Free Kibble Kat to help feed shelter cats. You can also go to The Animal Rescue Site to click daily; with each click you make, they fund food and care for rescued animals.
What character (or literary figure ) would you name your pet after?